Cheap flights to Geneva
With an old town ripe for exploring, full of winding cobblestone streets, gothic cathedrals and ancient city walls, Geneva has the historic charm that you would expect from any Swiss city. And being at the foot of the Alps, it also has a natural beauty that is hard to beat. Think lakeside promenades, parks and cafes complete with snow-capped mountains and you get the picture. But don’t go thinking this city is all history and no buzz. You’ll be hard pushed to find a more cosmopolitan place in Europe.
Geneva is home to international organisations such as the Red Cross and United Nations, to name a few, and is a modern city full of upmarket restaurants and hotels, with a nightlife that is more pumping than you’d expect. Rooftop cocktail bars, lakeside terraces, live music haunts and techno blaring dance clubs are all here catering to Geneva’s diverse population.
For a pre-Christmas treat, give your pale winter skin a perk-up at the Sisley spa in one of Geneva's smartest hotels, Le Richemond. A facial in one of its treatment rooms is so relaxing you'll likely fall asleep. The complex also includes a sauna, steam room and relaxation room. Bliss (8 Rue Adhémar-Fabri, dorchestercollection.com).
Increasingly popular, the annual cross-arts Antigel festival, on 24 January - 8 February, aims to promote local talent through a diverse range of events including music, dance, public art and installations. Last year's event included a mass roller-skating party, bi-plane aerial acrobatics and a promenade performance at Geneva's main hospital. antigel.ch
This month music stars from all over the world, representing many musical styles, descend on Montreux for the annual Jazz Festival. Even if you don't have a ticket, you can soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the town's tropical micro-climate. montreuxjazz.com
Head to the resort of La Clusaz to try your hand at "ski joëring", a rather hairy activity in more ways than one. Wearing skis and holding on to a harness attached to a horse, you'll be whisked around a snowy field by your enthusiastic equine guide, much like an extreme version of walking the dog. aravis-passion.com
You're flying from
You know when you want to travel
- Aberdeen to Geneva - £137.99, Feb >
- Belfast BFS to Geneva - £29.99, Feb >
- Birmingham to Geneva - £26.99, Apr >
- Bournemouth to Geneva - £25.99, Feb >
- Bristol to Geneva - £22.99, Apr >
- Edinburgh to Geneva - £30.99, Apr >
- Glasgow to Geneva - £46.99, Mar >
- Leeds Bradford to Geneva - £28.99, Feb >
- Liverpool to Geneva - £26.99, Feb >
- London Gatwick to Geneva - £30.99, Feb >
- London Luton to Geneva - £28.99, Feb >
- London Southend to Geneva - £23.99, Apr >
- London Stansted to Geneva - £30.99, Feb >
- Manchester to Geneva - £22.99, Apr >
- Newcastle to Geneva - £26.99, Apr >