Most visitors travelling to Russia will need to obtain a visa prior to departure.
The process can take up to several weeks. The lead time for visas can vary depending on your nationality and the purpose of your trip.
Please note that from 10 December 2014, the Russian National Tourist Office has confirmed that all foreign nationals are required to provide biometric data (finger print scan) in order to apply for a visiting visa. To do this, individuals are required to travel to the visa application centre in person in London (15-27 Gee Street, London EC1V 3RD) or the consulate in Edinburgh (58 Melville Street, Edinburgh EH3 7HF) to complete the process.
Please make sure to check with the relevant Russian authorities well in advance, or visit the Visa Central site for more information on visa requirements.
Russian visas are issued with specific start and end dates. Travel MUST be completed within those dates. Completed visas cannot be changed or extended once issued.
IMPORTANT: you will not be allowed to fly if you are not in possession of all the necessary documentation.
UK transit visa requirements for Russian nationals
Russian nationals can only transit through the UK (landside) if they hold one of the following landside exemption documents:
- A UK visa that is valid and in date; OR
- A valid visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States as long as you can demonstrate you are en-route to one of these destinations; OR
- A Valid residence permit, issued by either:
- Canada, issued after 28 June 2002;
- New Zealand;
- USA, issued after 21 April 1998 including: a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa (a wet-ink stamp version will NOT be accepted by UK border control); a permanent residence card; an expired I-551 Permanent Residence card provided it is accompanied by a valid I-797 letter authorising extension; a standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B; OR
- A valid common format EEA or Swiss residence permit or category D visa; OR
- An Irish biometric visa if en route to or from the Republic of Ireland.
In addition passengers must:-
- Be arriving and departing by air; AND
- Hold a confirmed onward flight reservation that departs before 23:59 hours the day after arrival into the United Kingdom; AND
- Hold a valid entry document for the next destination.
As easyJet is a point to point carrier we do not offer the ability to transit through the airport lounges, therefore you must satisfy the criteria above before attempting to travel.
Remember to check in online and print your boarding pass for your flight. The service is free and is available from 30 days and up to 2 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight.
Established in 1991, Transaero Airlines is a modern company, with an impressive fleet. Based at Domodedovo International Airport in Moscow, Transaero operates scheduled and charter flights to more than 99 domestic and international destinations.
easyJet has joined forces with Transaero Airlines to offer our customers travelling to Moscow a great network of connections to a variety of major Russian cities as well as Belorussia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.
Find out more about Transaero >